Melissa shared her budget dining room tips on The Marilyn Denis Show. Check out the appearance here >
Double Duty Dining Décor
Melissa’s tips on creating a custom look with off-the-shelf product
- Use kitchen cabinetry to create dish pantries. Installing them tight to the sides of the bench creates a built-in look.
- Buy off-the-shelf cabinets or mirror and custom paint them, this gives you a personalized look for a fraction of the price
- Use a TV credenza as a dining bench, they’re often the perfect height and allow for storage below.
- Use small ottomans for casual extra seating. If storage is at a premium, then look for pieces like these with lift off lids.
- In small spaces, look at the home office department for desks with small pencil trays. They are the perfect size and the pencil tray is ideal for table linens and cutlery close at hand.
- To create a custom upholstered wall look for readily available upholstered headboards. Here we’ve used a lovely linen headboard in a queen size, which is the perfect size for the bench.